(Orientation) Convenient services facilitate smooth school year for students

Angelo Angel

Academic Services: Tutoring

Kent State offers academic tutoring on campus to assist those who seek a helping hand.

The Academic Success Center offer students tutoring service in a variety of subjects such as math, sciences, psychology and writing. The center also offers four different styles of tutoring: university tutoring, supplemental instruction, study skills and academic coaching.

Statistics compiled by the center found that 99.4 percent of students have had positive experience with the tutoring sessions, stating that they believe their tutoring session was beneficial. Students can register for turoring session of their choice at http://www.kent.edu/asc.

Kent State Student Center Postal Office

The U.S. Postal Service on campus is located on the lower level of the Student Center and offers standard mailing services to the university community.

“We can also do other services such as faxes, laminating and make copies,” said Chad Oliver, manager of the campus postl office and a senior chemistry major.

An employee of the postal office since his freshman year, Oliver said that anyone can apply to get a position within the office.

The U.S. Postal Service also provides international mailing, which can be beneficial to students who are studying abroad and would need to send letters home. For more information, visit http://www.kent.edu/usps or call 330-672-8189.

Deweese Health Center

The Deweese Health Center, located at 1500 Eastway Dr. on campus, is a medical clinic that provides medical help for the Kent State community. The health center is home to University Health Services, the Student Accessibility Services and the College of Public Health Research Laboratory.

The staff includes a variety of professionals who are board certified in fields such as physical therapy, women’s health and mental health.

The health center also operates as a pharmacy, so any individual in the university community can pick up their prescription without having to leave campus.

It also provides the campus with health alerts and information on a variety of topics, such as registering for health insurance and flu season precautions.

To make an appointment with the Deweese Health Center, call 330-672-2322 or visit www.kent.edu/uhs.

Undergraduate Student Government

The Undergraduate Student Government is the sovereign representation of the student body at Kent State.

Located in the Student Center, USG provides a variety of services to students: free blue books for exams, financial aid to student organizations and legal services to students in need.

USG consist of students who were voted to their position by the student body and hold the term for two semesters.

The organization also helps organize the university’s annual music festival FlashFest, where prominent artists such as Kendrick Lamar and Walk the Moon have performed.

USG holds elections in the spring semester for students to campaign for a position within the organization.

To contact USG, email the representatives at their profile website or walk into their office inside the Student Center.

Computer Labs

Kent State offers students a variety of computers on campus for those in need.

While most buildings on campus have computers for student use, locations such as the University Library and the Student Center provide students with computers that meet the requirements of their specific programs.

Majors with their own buildings—such as Franklin Hall and the Art Building—have computers labs that are available to students. Mac computers at these buildings come loaded with Adobe Premiere, InDesign, Photoshop and more otherwise expensive programs.

Student Legal Services

Students who find themselves in a court related dilemma can contact Student Legal Services.

Student Legal Services is a non-profit law firm that represents students attending Kent State. The law firm is staffed by three fully licensed attorneys who provide students with quality legal services and advice.

According to their website, the goal of the law firm is to assist students in identifying and resolving legal problems so that they may make the most of their educational opportunities while attending Kent State.

The university collects $10 per academic semester from students for all of the legal services it provides.

To contact the Student Legal Services, visit their offices located in Acorn Alley in downtown Kent or schedule an appointment by calling 330-672-9550.

Tech Help

Kent State’s Division of Information Services provides a variety of technology services to students on campus.

Information Services helps students with any issue they come across, whether it’s troubleshooting with computers or repairing certain devices.

The staff consist of full-time and part-time employees, many student employees. 

Information Services is also responsible for connecting the campus through technology along with updating the campus-wide network. If students’ devices are damaged, the TechHelp Service and Repair Center located at Tri-Towers and in the College of Business building can do a variety of services that would be provided by professionals but with a convenient location.

To make an appointment with TechHelp, call 330-672-8324 or visit the offices at either of the two locations.