Capital budget supports KSU collaboration with Akron General

Alex Delaney-Gesing

Cleveland Clinic Akron General, in a partnership with Kent State’s College of Nursing, has received $500,000 in funding from Ohio’s bi-annual capital budget bill.

Ohio Gov. John Kasich signed off on the funds last month that will be used toward the construction of a new facility and providing resources for the hospital’s SANE (sexual assault nurse examiner) program—also known as the PATH (Providing Access to Healing) Center.

Established last year, the program aims to provide care for domestic violence and sexual assault survivors by trained professionals.

A key component of the program includes registered nurses trained by the International Association of Forensic Nursing. Their jobs entail collecting DNA and forensic evidence from victims.

A state-of-the-art facility will allow for further research to be conducted in the field, as well as provide aid to those in need.

“The dedicated space that this award will provide will greatly enhance the care we are able to provide to these survivors,” said Jennifer Savitski, medical director of the PATH Center and program, in a June 6 Akron General news release.

The new area will be built as an addition to Akron General’s emergency room and replace the current program’s current method of treating survivors in an available room of the hospital.

Updated equipment, storage for sexual assault forensic exam kits and supplies, as well as the addition of a private shower for patients to use after exams will be added, according to the news release.

Kent State, a 20-year collaborator with Akron General through its nursing program, will be a beneficiary of the award.

“This collaboration is a natural partnership to meet the needs of the community,” said Barbara Broome, dean of Kent State’s College of Nursing. “Students, both undergraduate and graduate, …  learn so much from the experienced and dedicated health care providers, nurses and support staff.”

Kent State and Akron General Health System have been partners in working toward the prevention of disease and promotion of wellness through basic and clinical research since 2013.

The SANE program is just the latest progressive collaboration between the two facilities.

With the SANE program’s expansion, Kent State nurse practitioner students will be able to receive additional training outside of the classroom environment, and “provide students with the opportunity to see an area of nursing that is sometimes not seen in the everyday clinical experience,” Broome said.

Akron General and Kent State are currently considering the possibility of establishing internships for nursing students within the PATH Center, educational seminars for staff and faculty members, as well as a partnership between the hospital and the university’s campus police, the news release stated.

Alex Delaney-Gesing is the administration reporter, contact her at [email protected].