Environmental advocacy group helps students register to vote

Angelo Angel

As incoming freshmen explore campus during Destination Kent State this summer, NextGen Climate is there to help with voter registration.

On Wednesday, volunteers from NextGen Climate–a San Francisco-based organization that engages in politics to advocate for environmental awareness—were on campus, kickstarting efforts to register young adults to vote.

David Miller, deputy communications director for NextGen Climate, described the effort as a push to get millennials registered to vote. He also said the goal was to familiarize them with climate issues that will affect them in the long run. 

“We’re doing these voter registration voter drives around the state of Ohio so that the millennial population can have a voice in the upcoming general election,” Miller said. “We plan to be in over 60 campuses during the (upcoming) fall semester in order to register as (many) eligible millennials as we can.”

Jacquelyn McCauley, a senior biology major at Kent State, registered at the NextGen station. She believes it is important for every student on campus to vote.

“Honestly, I had no idea how to register so it was nice having people showing me how it’s done,” McCauley said.

Angelo Angel is a reporter for the Kent Stater. Contact him at [email protected]