Confusion over Climate survey title

Jessica Barone

Kent students are encouraged to take the Kent State Climate Survey but its ambiguous title has left many students confused.

The climate survey is a way for Kent State to talk to all its stakeholders and uncover information about what the students, faculty and staff really think about the atmosphere on campus. 

Kent State would like to hear from everyone to help shape the university to fit the needs and wants of the people who are most effected. Undergraduate Student Government (USG) has also agreed to offer up to 20 floor tickets for the upcoming Wiz Khalifa concert as an incentive for students to take the survey.

“It is about gathering the voice, perceptions and opinions of students, faculty and staff across campus, to help the university build a more inclusive climate,” said JMC Director Thor Wasbotten in an email sent out to students within the JMC program. 

Kent has been having a hard time convincing students to take the survey. Many students on campus seem to think the survey is about climate change and their thoughts on the environment.

“I really thought the climate survey was about the weather until I had a conversation in my organic chemistry class with some fellow students,” said Haley Sommer, sophomore Pre-Medicine/Bio-Chemistry major. “I don’t think they really thought through that when they picked the name for the survey because I know for a fact I’m not the only student who thought that.”

This confusion may cause students to ignore the survey. 

“It has been more than a decade since a climate survey has been conducted at Kent State,” said Shay Little, Interim Vice President of Student Affairs. “Information learned from the climate study will be incorporated into the University’s strategic roadmap and initiatives in the future.”

Participating in the survey also has its benefits for students along with faculty and staff.

Students can enter to win one of five $50 Kent State Bookstore gift cards, a $250 Amazon or a Kent State Bookstore gift card. Students who have a FLASHperks account can earn 500 FLASHperks.

Faculty and staff can enter to win a two-night weekend getaway to the winner’s choice of Amish Country, Geneva on the Lake, Cleveland or Kalahari Resort. They can also win season tickets to the winner’s choice of Kent State Football, Men’s Basketball, Women’s Basketball, Porthouse Theatre Summer Series or Kent State Stark Theatre.

The survey takes approximately 20-30 minutes to complete and will end on April 5. The survey is 100 percent confidential. 

For more information, visit the survey’s website.