Gymnastics ends season at NCAA Regionals

Teammates dance along with junior Samantha Gordon as she performs her floor routine in a meet against Cornell University on March 6, 2016. Kent State beat Cornell 196.000-193.175.

Elise Kogelnik

The Kent State gymnastics team finished sixth in the NCAA Regional competition Saturday, marking the end of their season. The Flashes earned a final score of 194.525 points.

The University of Oklahoma took first with 197.575 points and the University of Nebraska followed with 196.550. Both teams will advance to NCAA Nationals. Sophomore Rachel Stypinski made her collegiate debut on vault, competing as an all-around gymnast for the first time. Stypinski earned 39.275 points, earning her seventh place in the all-around competition.

Stypinski led the Flashes on the floor exercise, tying nine gymnasts for third place at 9.850. Junior Samantha Gordon and senior Nicolle Eastman tied two other gymnasts for the No. 23 spot at 9.725.

Eastman was the highest-scoring Flash on vault, finishing ninth with 9.800 points. Stypinski tied a gymnast from Iowa for the No. 21 spot at 9.725.

Stypinski tied five gymnasts for the No. 17 spot on the uneven bars at 9.825. Sophomore Michaela Romito was the next highest-scoring Flash, with 9.800 points.

Stypinski tied two gymnasts for sixth on the balance beam with 9.875 points. Sophomore Ali Marrero and freshman Kennedy Plude tied for the No. 17 spot with 9.800 points.

The NCAA Nationals will begin on Friday, April 15, in Fort Worth, Texas.

Elise Kogelnik is a gymnastics beat reporter for The Kent Stater. Contact her at [email protected].