Track competes in Northeast Ohio Quad

Samantha Lough

The Kent State track team garnered a lot of attention on the track over the weekend at the Northeast Ohio Quad in Akron.

In the sprint events on the women’s side, sophomore Tyler Williams placed second in the 400-meter run and junior Jorian Ordway placed third. In the 800-meter race, senior Taylor Wickey placed third. Sophomore Cayla Carey took fourth place in the 200-meter dash. In the 400-meter hurdles, senior Taylor Farquhar placed second.

In the distance events, the women Flashes ran just as well. Redshirt-freshman Morgan Manual placed first in the steeplechase with a time of 11.43.70 and junior Olivia Gaus placed first in the 1500-meter run.

In the field events, redshirt-freshman Jai’Lyn Mosley took first in the discus, junior Ada Nicholson-Burley placed second, junior Rebecca Leppelmeier placed third and redshirt-freshman Victoria Ross placed fourth.

Sophomore Gabrielle Figueroa took first in the hammer throw and senior Jackie Leppelmeier placed second. Senior Dior Delophont placed second in the high jump and junior Lauren Pannell placed third. Junior Morgan Estes took second in the pole-vault and sophomore Samantha Tollerud took fifth. Senior Roseanne Erickson also took fifth in the triple jump.

In the men’s field events, senior Jesse Oxley placed first in the pole vault, sophomore Abdul-Nasser Seidu took second in the triple jump and senior Michael King placed first in the shot put and sophomore David Paliscak placed third. Senior Reginald Jagers took second in the discus.

In the 110-meter hurdles senior William Barnes placed second and junior Richard Dahome placed third. Dahome also placed third in the 400-meter hurdles and freshman Kyle Storm placed fourth. Senior Jacob Swords captured first in the 800-meter run. Senior Wayne Gordon placed first in the 100-meter dash and junior Brian Smith placed second.

“I feel the team is moving in the right direction at the midpoint in the season,” said Phil Rickaby, assistant coach of the horizontal jumps and women’s short sprints. “I am really excited to see people take that next step at the Jesse Owens Invitational.”

The Jesse Owens Invitational is the team’s next meet, set for this Friday  in Columbus.

Samantha Lough is the track and field reporter for The Kent Stater. Contact her at [email protected].