SAT made more predictable with new changes

Olivia Minnier

The SAT has undergone its largest overhaul in 10 years, with the new version being used for the first time this month.

The SAT or Scholastic Aptitude Test  is a paper standardized test that has been used for college admissions since the 1920’s in some form. It tests skills in math, reading, critical thinking and writing. Under the now defunct scoring system, a perfect score would be 2400.

According to College Board, the major changes are an attempt to make the test of better use to students.

“The College Board redesigned the SAT to better reflect what students are already learning in class and to focus on the few things that matter most for college and career readiness,” said a College Board spokesperson.

Some of the specific changes to the test include getting rid of the obscure vocabulary words, a return to the 1600 grading score, making the essay portion optional and a focused math portion.

“Changes include a focus on the areas of math that matter most, a move away from obscure vocabulary words to the use of relevant words in context, no penalty for guessing, and an optional essay,” said the spokesperson.  

For admission at Kent State, the optional essay and new scoring system will largely not change the current process.

“Kent State University does not currently use the writing portion of the SAT for admission and scholarship decisions.  Therefore, we have been using the traditional 1600 scale (critical reading and math scores),” said Associate Director of Admissions, Mark Ledoux.

The new version will also connect students with AP class opportunities, free test preparation through Khan Academy and fee waivers for college applications, for those who used a waiver to take the test.

Sarah Radcliff, junior exercise science major said she wishes the changes would have been made before she took it, when she applied to an out of state college.

“I may have gotten a better score and more scholarship money,” said Radcliff.

For Kent State, all admissions and scholarship decisions will be adjusted accordingly for the coming semester.

“Once the concordance is released by the College Board in early summer, we can make final decisions if any changes will be needed with the new scoring system for admission and scholarship decisions for fall 2017 admission,” said Ledoux.