Board of Trustees approves changes amid projected growth

Olivia Minnier

Kent State’s Board of Trustees endorsed several initiatives to improve campus amongst news of a projected increase in growth over the next five years.

Enrollment is expected to grow at the Kent campus by an estimated 2,600 students during that period. Estimates for additional housing projects in the city and on campus over the next five year-period are expected to hold the increase in students.

To follow this, room and board rate structure changes for the 2016 fall semester were also approved. The majority of room rates are expected to go down, with single room rates to increase and single apartment rates to decrease if occupancy goals are reached in the residence halls. The new double room rate for Fall 2016 will be $3,380.

In addition to this, the basic meal plan has been approved to increase by $45, which will go toward operating expenses for dining services and a projected rise in food cost.

President Beverly Warren’s cabinet supported moving forward with the Healthy Campus Initiative to make Kent State a tobacco free campus. Programs on cessation of smoking are expected to increase. A town hall meeting will be held March 16 focusing specifically on smoking and tobacco use. Director of University Health Services Angela DeJulius recommended steps to take for the university to be tobacco free by July 2017.

The board also accepted plans to establish the Center for the Study of Gender and Sexuality within the College of Arts and Sciences. The center will feature a bachelor’s degree program in Gender and Sexuality Studies.

Olivia Minnier is an administration reporter for The Kent Stater. Contact her at [email protected].