Kent State University Libraries celebrate Student Appreciation Day (DO NOT POST BAD STORY)

Kimberly Laferty

Kent State University Libraries celebrated Student Appreciation Day on March 14.

Five libraries participated in the event on campus. Libraries included were University main library, architecture, fashion, map and performing arts.

Each library had something different to honor Kent State students. Giveaway items included bags, bottles, pens, flash drives, refreshments and treats. Student attendees could also receive FlashPerks and interact with therapy dogs at the main library.

The main library comes with many services that a student can use. These include academic honesty and plagiarism, create digital media, getting help with courses, workshops, reserving a study space, and much more, according to the university library website.

Sydney Schoenbeck, a sophomore biotechnology major, was with her friend Alexandra Staats, a junior zoology major. They said they usually use the main library for homework and to finish labs.

“And also to study in the study rooms,” Staats said.

“That’s a big one. We use the study rooms a lot,” Schoenbeck added.

Libraries are also open at different times. The main library is open Monday through Thursday for 24 hours, but is only open until 10 p.m. on Friday. Saturday it is open 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Sunday noon to 10 p.m.

The performing arts library holds different resources for students to use as well. Resources include computers, audio and video equipment, group listening and viewing rooms, printers, two Macs (with keyboard synthesizer) and much more, according the performing arts library site.

Celebrating student appreciations day at the performing arts library was Lydia Snyder and Yuan Wang. The two friends are graduate students studying ethno musicology.

Snyder said she uses the performing arts library for everything, “I use it for homework, or research, or grades,” Snyder said. “Everything. I teach online, so I use the computers for that,” Snyder said.

Wang said she uses it to check out books, articles, and to do researching.

“Everything is here,” Wang said. “It’s very useful.”

Performing arts library hours are Monday-Thursday 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday form 8 a.m.to 5 p.m.

Closed Saturday, and Sunday it is open from 3 p.m. to 8p.m.

Michael Hawkins, head of the map library, talked about resources students can use at the library.

“We have 250,000 physical maps, but we also have access to multiple data sheets online through data bases,” Hawkins said. “We have a huge reference collection of actual physical books, but the primary bulk of our collection is all online.”

Map library hours are Monday-Friday 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. closed Saturday and Sunday.

The architecture library has around 16,000 books and has a selection of maps and architectural drawings, according the architecture website.

All of the resources all of the five libraries from Student Appreication day, provide similar resources for research. This includes KentLINK/OhioLINK, InterLibrary Loan, reference services, research consultation and a place where you can reserve services, according the university website.

The architecture library is open Monday-Thursday from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and is closed Saturday. Sunday 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Fashion library hours are Monday-Thursday 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Friday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. closed Saturday and Sunday.

Hours for the library is subject to change and is different for Holiday’s. For more information the University Libraries visit http://www.library.kent.edu/.

Kimberly Laferty is the Libraries reporter for The Kent Stater. Contact her at [email protected]