USG Profile: Alexis Lewis

Name: Alexis Lewis

Position you’re running for: Director of Governmental Affairs

Year and major: junior, political science 

Hometown: Sandusky, Ohio

What makes you a representative of the student body?

I am a special type of representative of the student body: I am different. My passion and commitment to the betterment of Kent State has brought me to incredible places and has allowed me to connect with all types of life on campus, with all kinds of student efforts and goals. I am dedicated to integrity, service, and excellence. 

What will be your top priority if elected?

I will dedicate my entire year advocating for students to use their voice politically. I will bring politicians to this university to speak about their values and beliefs for the 2016 election. We will be conscientious students who are aware of our political world at all times, not just during election season, and not just during our time here. It is my platform for students to graduate with a sustainable political mindset. 

What do you think can be improved on with USG and the campus in general?

Transparency is the one issue when it comes to USG – and the campus in general – that we can improve on and see great success from doing so. The best work gets done when it is done right and when organizations are required to be accountable and fully transparent. When we are transparent, issues are caught sooner and everything is easier to understand.

How will USG handle the growing prominence of diversity-related issues on campus?

I will grow these current established groups and encourage students to develop programs that educate others about diversity and host events that celebrate it as well. I will increase the opportunities students have to speak out on diversity-related issues by holding meetings that raise concern and brainstorm solution. I want to work with the student body to bring greater attention to the issues we see on campus, in our community and in our world.