Muslim speaker visits Kent State to discuss Muhammad, Islam

Keri Richmond

If muhammad was here today.jpg

Muslim Student Association will host Muslim speaker Saad Omar on Thursday evening to discuss what it’s like being Muslim. Omar’s presentation, entitled ‘If Muhammad was here today’, will focus on what he believes Muhammad would say about the current state of the world. 

The event will take place on Thursday, March 3 at 6 p.m. in the Governance Chambers of the Kent State Student Center.

Amanda Lamadanie, a senior psychology major, was the driving force behind bringing Omar to Kent State.

“We invited Saad in hopes of providing a space for Kent State students and staff to learn a bit about Muslims,” Lamadanie said, who also serves as president of Kent State’s Muslim Student Association (MSA).

Omar, referred to as Brother Omar by MSA, is a national speaker, artist and social entrepreneur.

“We chose Saad Omar because he not only has the experience of studying with top Muslim scholars, he also has had the unique experience of knowing Muslims, especially Muslim youth, across the country from his speaking tours,” Lamadanie said. 

Omar’s background includes serving as chair of the Muslim Youth of North America. Omar attended Georgetown University for his undergraduate degree and later obtained his Master’s Degree from Indiana University.

All students and questions are welcome at the ‘If Muhammad was here today’ event.  

“We hope that anyone who wants to know a little bit more about Islam and Muslims is able to join us,” Lamadanie said.

Keri Richmond is a reporter for the Kent Stater. For more information contact her at [email protected].