Student organization fair promotes involvement

Jessica Barone

The Center for Student Involvement hosted the student organization fair on Thursday afternoon in the Student Center to provide information on organizations at Kent State.

The fair hosted about 60 student organizations to help students find organizations on campus that are best suited towards their interests and majors.

New organizations such as the Kent State E-Sports, Golden Flash Fiction Club, and the Kent State Korean Culture Club were in attendance to recruit new members and let students on campus know that these organizations are now fully operational. Other, already established but less-known, organizations were in attendance as well, such as the Ohio Student Association and the Kent State Ballroom Club.

“A lot of people don’t really know about some of the organizations on Kent’s campus unless they hear about it from someone else,” said Christa Shirilla, a sophomore early childhood education major. “It’s a really good idea for them to have these fairs and stuff and for people to get involved and see what’s on Kent’s campus.” 

The organizations in attendance ranged from academic organizations, Greek life and other interest groups.

“It’s a great opportunity for transfer students, or those looking for more involvement, to explore all of the great organizations KSU has to offer,” said Katie Goldring, assistant director for the Center for Student Involvement.

Students in attendance also had a chance to receive free prizes. Many of the organizations handed out free prizes and candy to students interested in their organization. The Center for Student Involvement also handed out prizes to students who visited 10 different tables at the fair.  

The fair also hosted volunteer based organizations such as the Office of Experiential Education and Civic Engagement (OEECE) and FLASHanthropy, who seek to give back to the surrounding communities in Kent.

“I think it’s very important to get involved on campus, and join clubs or organizations that you’re into,” said Kassidy Kesner, a sophomore nutrition major.

“Being a part of something will only help you stand out to employers when you’re applying for jobs and it’s also an easy way to make friends who are into the same things you’re into,” Kesner said. 

Contact Jessica Barone at [email protected].