Students undergo Alice Training

Yusef Alshehry

Kent State University shows a high quality safety system on-campus by providing the A.L.I.C.E program on what to do if there is an active shooter.

A.L.I.C.E became a mandatory program for all incoming freshmen to go through when they arrived for destination Kent State in 2014. Primarily for new students, transfer students, staff and faculty are encouraged to go through the training as well.

“The A.L.I.C.E program started in 2001 by Greg, Low Enforcement and Lisa Crane, a school administrator. It was started after the shooting in Columbine happened.” said Tricia A. Knoles, Kent community resource officer.

There were some interviews with three freshman students Jordan Mirto, Jessiey Solomon and Betsy Garwood who were in the A.L.I.C.E workshop in February 2. They all agreed with that A.L.I.C.E program is very important and they attend the presentation seriously.

“Before I come to the presentation, I have no idea about it and had no desire on it. But then I found that it is very important to save my life in campus.” Jessiey Solomon said.

The instructor invited students to present the shooter position and the attacked students. Students then learn the action as it happened in real life. There was a gun to attack, and stones to define.  

“When I was in high school, there was a shooter came to school and attacked us, so we had no idea what we do, but now I kind of get the idea and I am so interesting and feel confidence to defend myself and maybe other people ” Jordan Mirto said.

A.L.I.C.E training focuses on mental preparation with the physical body movement.

“Kent State adapted the program as a preventative measure and to educate the students, faculty and staff on what to do if there is an active threat on campus.” Tricia said.

In the A.L.I.C.E workshop presentation for, all students were in freshman year and no staff or faculty was attended.

“This course is for everyone on campus. But is requirement for freshmen because there was an active shooter incident that occurred on Kent campus in 2014.” Naadiya Hopkins said. Certified A.L.I.C.E instructor.

Hopkins said anytime you get training like this one, you would increase your confidence and your attacked skills. And there is another option for you to do if you face a shooter; such call the police (911) then will be immediately transferred to Kent police in response

“Typically, when Kent State students attend the course they seem to be thoroughly involved in the topic. It is as interactive class, and the students participate.” Tricia said.

According to NPR.org in 2012, the ALICE training is to survive a shooter and students learn to fight back.  

In the ALICE presentation, the instructor taught the students how to attack the shooter and make a defense at the same time without shooting him back.

Most of the students in the workshop were feeling good with ALICE program. They came early, participate, and go up as volunteers to do the action as if it is a real.  

“I feel that every person should attend an ALICE presentation, so that they are better prepared for any type of active threat and/or emergency on campus or in their own personal lives.” Tricia said.