Students and Faculty Discuss What Masculinity Means to them

Nicholas Garisto Women and Gender Issues Reporter

Kent State students and faculty discuss masculinity, and what it means to different ethnicities, genders, and cultures during the event “Man Enough?”

Masculinity is in the spectrum of gender and gender is a social construct said Michael Daniels, Program Coordinator of the Student Multicultural Center.

“It’s an individuals choice,” said one participant, “It differs between each person. People define it on their own terms.”

Participants were asked what masculinity means to them and each individual had a different definition but some similarities were apparent. Many said “being strong” and “showing no weakness” were the two main stereotypes in being a man.

There is this sense of needing to be tough, said one participant, and showing any emotion other than anger is frowned upon. All other emotions are tucked away behind “masks” as a way to cope with the world.  

These masks are created to hide any feelings that are not considered masculine, especially pain, said Michael Daniels, Program Coordinator of the Student Multicultural Center.

Pain is seen, as a weakness and form of shame to many men, and acknowledging that pain to others made them feel vulnerable.  Men in the audience spoke of fearing other men using those moments of vulnerability against them. 

Many participants spoke of a need for a safe place to express themselves emotionally. They spoke on how men are more likely to go to women for emotional support because it is seen culturally as ok to do so.

Masculinity is in the spectrum of gender and gender is a social construct said Daniels.

The discussion was held at Oscar Ritchie Hall’s multipurpose room Tuesday evening. Clips of  “The Mask You Live In” were aligned with the discussion questions. The event was a collaboration of the Male Empowerment Network, the Multicultural Student Center, and the Women’s Center.