Kent State celebrates Women’s History Month

Nicholas Garisto

Kent State’s Women’s Center, alongside other campus organizations, are holding events throughout the month to explore the history and impact of women at Kent State as well as the world at large.

These events will celebrate leadership, diversity, and identity of women at the university and the international community during Women’s History Month.

The center will be holding the 7th annual Mothers, Mentors and Muses Scholarship Fundraiser at the Kent State Student Center Ballroom on March 8. According to the Women’s History Month event calendar, the fundraiser “recognizes Kent State female or female-identifying faculty or staff who have made a significant difference in the life of a student or colleague.”

“This is recognizing those women who have impacted people around them to inspire you to be the best person you can be, whether it be a mentor, a mother, or a muse,” said Cassandra Pegg-Kirby, assistant director of the Women’s Center.

The event highlights women who were an inspiration to someone on campus, while also setting the foundation for other potential mentors, mothers, and muses through the scholarship, Pegg-Kirby said.

“This year we have three scholarship award winners,” Pegg-Kirby said. “It’s nice to be able to celebrate people who are doing it.”

Women’s History Month is, according to Pegg-Kirby, a way to honor those that came before us and paved the way for women today. Women’s History Month is not just for women, she said.

“Women’s History Month is for everybody to have that opportunity to recognize and celebrate women who have helped create history,” Pegg-Kirby said.

Events during the month will tackle diverse topics of different backgrounds, such as the March 10 event “Queer Women: Then and Now,” as well as the March 15 event, “Women’s History Month Living Library.” These events are meant to connect and celebrate topics that are prevalent today and also were prevalent in the past. 

For more information on upcoming events, contact the Women’s Center at 330-672-9230.  

Nicholas Garisto is the women and gender issues reporter. Contact him at [email protected].