Newsletter: Guess who’s back?

KentWired Editorial

Letter from the Editor

It’s that time of year again when change suffocates us at every turn with resolutions, weather and classes, and it definitely didn’t miss our newsroom here in Franklin Hall. We have a new group of leaders with new goals for their media. My goal is not just to get you the news but for you to enjoy our news. It’ll be rocky, but we’ll make it through together. So bundle up, stick with those new year resolutions and watch your email every Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning to get the latest news from Kent State’s independent student media.

Thanks for reading,

Alyssa Schmitt, KentWired Editor

While you were away

Man’s best friend barked for joy after Kent State reached a settlement with two former Kent State students to allow comfort animals in the dorms. Watch out, your neighbor could actually be an animal. 

We lost a remarkable Kent State grad in a tragic hit-and-run accident, but the community rallied together and raised more than $25,000 on the family’s GoFundMe page in three weeks.

College Avenue is getting a make-over as old houses are getting torn down to make way for the new three-story Kent police station.

Four police officers from the Kent Police Department are still on paid administrative leave after they were involved in the shooting of a man armed with a machete. 

All things end in three. Kent State Police can attest to this after arresting the third suspect in the ROTC van-ageddon, in which two vans were destroyed by molotov-type cocktails in February 2015.

Would you like to phone a friend?

After the potential of a strike and then a picketing, Kent State and AAUP-KSU reached a tentative contract agreement, allowing a new three-year collective bargaining agreement for tenured and tenure-track faculty derived from a third-party fact-finder’s report. It’s been approved by AAUP-KSU’s Tenure Track Executive Committee. Now AAUP-KSU and the university are waiting for the OK from their constituents this week. 

You are not the winner

The odds were against you in last week’s Powerball drawing but college students will never stop dreaming about what could have been.