Fashion school to host third annual Fashion/Tech Hackathon

Taylor Pierce

Kent State’s LaunchNET and the Fashion School’s TechStyleLab are teaming up to host the third annual Fashion/Tech Hackathon from Friday, Jan. 29 through Sunday, Jan. 31 in Rockwell Hall.

“This event is a cross-curricular opportunity where students from all over the campus and the area can come and work together to create a wearable technology product,” said Kevin Wolfgang, TechStyleLab manager. “The networking, the teamwork and the exploration are the most valuable parts of the event.”

Students are given 36 hours and free access to the TechStyleLAB, the Fashion School’s digital textile fabrication lab, to develop a product of their choice.

According to Wolfgang, the Hackathon is an event that inspires students to work together to create innovative new products.

After 36 hours of the developing process, students showcase their work and prizes will be awarded.

Prizes will be divided into four categories: Advancement of an Existing Technology, Use of Technology in Creating New Fashion Products, Creation of a New Technology and Tech Advancement of the Retail Experience.

According to The Fashion School’s website, the 2016 Hackathon event currently has over 200 participants from more than 75 colleges across the country. Registration for the Hackathon is free.

For more information and to register for the event, visit the event website, www.fashiontechhackathon.com

Taylor Pierce is a fashion reporter for The Kent Stater, contact her at [email protected]