Wick Poetry Center holds last poetry reading of semester

The Wick Poetry Center on the night of Dec. 1, 2015.

Bruno Beidacki

The Wick Poetry Center plans to host a poetry reading with Ukrainian-born poet Ilya Kaminsky, presenting his works Thursday night in the Kent Student Center.

The event is part of the Wick Poetry Center’s Reading Series that has brought several poets and speakers to the school throughout the semester. Kaminsky’s reading will be the last Wick Poetry Center’s Reading Series event of the semester.

“His poems create correspondences in the air across borders of language and culture, promoting a global citizenship informed by the intimate voice of poetry,” said David Hassler, director of the Wick Poetry Center, in a press release.

Kaminsky was born in Odessa, part of the former Soviet Union, and came to the United States at the age of 16 in 1993. His experiences in his hometown served as inspiration for one of his first and most popular works, Dancing in Odessa.

After moving to the United States, Kaminsky went on to receive a Bachelor of Arts from Georgetown University and a J.D. degree from the University of California, Hastings College of the Law. He currently teaches in the graduate creative writing program at San Diego State University.

Earlier this year, poets such as Jane Hirshfield and Naomi Shihab Nye presented at Kent State.

The event starts at 7:30 p.m. Thursday and will be held in room 306 of the Kent Student Center.

Contact Bruno Beidacki at [email protected].