Women’s basketball knocks off Colgate

Sophomore gaurd Naddiyah Cross protects the ball from a player on Colgate University’s team during the women’s basketball game at the MACC. The Flashes won the game 76-71. Nov. 15, 2015.

Ty Sugick

Coach Danielle O’Banion and the Flashes start the season on a positive note as they took down Colgate 76-71 on Sunday afternoon.

In the first half, the Flashes shot under 30 percent from the field as the team relied heavily on junior guard Larissa Lurken, redshirt freshman Tyra James and freshman guard Alexa Golden for scoring. Despite the poor opening half-shoot performance, Kent State managed to stay in the game, finishing the half with a tie score of 31-31. 

Kent State jumped out on a 15-0 run to open the second half, as their defense paid off. O’Banion referred to the game as, “the tale of two presses.” The Flashes’ defense forced 25 turnovers during the game with most of those being in the third quarter.

The Flashes would eventually push their lead to 16 points and seemed to have the game in control going into the fourth quarter.

Colgate fought their way back into the game, dwindling the lead down to single digits, as the Raiders soared for rebound after rebound. The Flashes kept the lead throughout the last stretch of the game.

Kent State shot 48.5 percent from the field in the second half.

Lurken led the team, finishing the night with 23 points. Tyra James debuted with 17 points and six rebounds.  

Kent State returns Tuesday as they welcome the Wright State Raiders to the MAC Center. Tip off is at 11 a.m. 

Ty Sugick is a sports reporter for The Kent Stater. Contact him at at [email protected]