Road safety event for holidays to be held in student center

Dana Miller

Portage and Stark County Safe Communities and Kent State Police services are partnering up to host a road safety event in the Governance Chamber on the second floor of the Kent student center from 1:30 to 3 p.m. on Thursday.

Other departments that will be at the event include, Ohio State Highway Patrol and Ohio Department of Transportation, said Officer Tricia Knoles of Kent State Police Department.

“The main purpose of this event is to spread awareness of how important it is to use your seatbelt, not drink and drive and to not text and drive,” Knoles said.

Along with several departments giving speeches, Knoles said a presentation from a Kent State student who was involved in an accident due to drinking and driving will be given. The presentations will run from 1:30 to 2 p.m.

While the event is there to teach the Kent State community safe precautions while on the road, Knoles said it is to be done in a fun way with giveaways and prizes.

“We have a distracted driving simulator that AT&T will be bringing to this event. It is like a virtual video game and is very neat!” Knoles said. “Besides the driving simulator, we will have the beer goggles, the intoxiclock and a prize wheel.”

Knoles hopes this will encourage students to learn about safe driving before they leave for their Thanksgiving holiday travels.

Students enrolled in the First Year Experience (FYE) Course can earn credit for attending.

Registration is not required, but to do so, visit the Student Success Series on Kent’s website.

Dana Miller is the transportation/safety reporter for The Kent Stater. Contact her at [email protected].