May 4 Visitors Center receives historic preservation certificate

Kent State alumna Susan Avery, of Denver, Colorado, tours the May 4 Visitors Center Wednesday, Sept. 17, 2014. Avery graduated in ’82 and said that she wanted to visit the center to pay her respects.

Gabrielle Woodard

The May 4 Visitors Center at Kent State was selected for a Historic Preservation Certificate by the International Society for Landscape, Place and Material Culture.

The award was presented to Mindy Farmer, the center’s director, last month at the society’s meeting in North Canton, Ohio.

“It is a great reminder that we are doing important work and that our site, while tragic, must be preserved and respected,” Farmer said.

The winner of the Historic Preservation Certificate is based on where the conference of the year is held. This year, because it was held in North Canton, only historic places in Northeast Ohio were considered for the award.

The requirements include “restoring, rehabilitating, or otherwise important building, site or artifact(s) representing North American material culture,” according to the International Society for Landscape, Place and Material Culture’s website. One winner and up to three honorable mentions are selected by a committee appointed by the Executive Director of the Pioneer America Society.

The chair for this year’s conference was Chris Post, a geography professor at Kent State University at Stark, although he excused himself for any decisions made about the Visitors Center.

“Being involved with both the Visitors Center and ISLPMC, I was very happy to see this award happen,” Post said.

The May 4 Visitors Center at Kent State provides a place for students to learn about the historical event. The center displays videos and memorabilia from the time period so visitors can understand the mindframe of the student protesters of the time.  

Katelyn Braunegg, a senior communications studies major, said she hopes that Kent State students take the time to go to of the Visitors Center.

“I recommend all students take advantage of this center being on campus, not only is it a piece of U.S. history but a huge piece of KSU’s history as well,” Braunegg said.

Contact Gabrielle Woodard at [email protected].