Fulbright Program accepting scholarships applications

Toni Hunt

Students interested in applying for a Fulbright Program scholarship can attend the “So You Want to Be a Fulbright?” scholarship event on Thursday, Nov. 19 in White Hall.

Funded by the U.S. Department of State, the Fulbright Program offers scholarships to students interested in international exchange arrangements. The event will feature current Fulbright scholars and panelists who assist with the application process.

In order to be eligible to apply, students must have graduated or have completed their undergraduate coursework for the program. Fulbright provides grants for English teaching assistant programs or research study programs.

To be selected as a winner, students have to be nominated by the university. In order to begin the application process, they have to meet with: the Fulbright Program advisor, Ediz Kaykayoglu, the director of Kent State’s Education Abroad in the Office of Global Education, as well as a graduate student majoring in educational psychology.

According to the Fulbright Program scholarship page on kent.edu, the scholarship winner will participate in a cultural exchange with individuals in the country they chose to complete their study, project or teaching work. The grant assists with covering the costs of round trip transportation, as well as living and academic expenses with “limited health benefits.”

To learn more about the eligibility requirements, stop by Fulbright’s scholarship event “So You Want to Be a Fulbright?”  on Thursday from 3:30-5 p.m. in room 200 in White Hall, or visit Fulbright’s website.

Toni Hunt is the education, health and human services reporter for The Kent Stater. Contact her at [email protected].