Women’s soccer starts slow, finishes strong for 4-1 win over BG

Dan Armelli

The Kent State women’s soccer team fell behind for the sixth time this season only to come back and win. This time against Bowling Green, the Flashes went on to dominate both sides of the field.

The Flashes got off to a slow start, struggling to hold onto offensive possessions.

In the 11th minute, a cross by Falcons freshman midfielder Juli Knapp found sophomore forward Skylar Fleak who headed it into the top right corner of the net.

The Flashes started to build momentum as they put up shots on goal that were ultimately saved by Bowling Green redshirt junior goalkeeper Lauren Cadel, who had a few impressive leaping saves.

Kent State was finally able to score in the 35th minute after a corner ball dribbled around and found sophomore defender Jaime Eiben who tied up the game 1-1. It was her first goal of the season.

The Flashes closed the first half with another goal in the 43rd minute by junior midfielder Morgan Williams. It was the first goal of her career.

Kent State quickly built off what they started at the end of the first half after junior forward Jenna Hellstrom scored on a fast break just 15 seconds into the second half.

The Flashes showed great ball movement in the 52nd minute when Hellstrom passed it from the top of the box to junior defender Brittany Maisano out wide. Maisano then serviced a nice touch pass inside the box to redshirt sophomore Donavan Capehart who scored on a header.

The Flashes won 4-1, bouncing back from their two losses last week. They finished with 23 shots, 11 shots on goal, and seven corner kicks. Bowling Green only managed to get off four shots, three on goal, and three corners.

Kent State plays Eastern Michigan at 1 p.m., Sunday at Zoeller Field.

Dan Armelli is the sports reporter for The Kent Stater Contact him at [email protected].