Israeli celebrity set to speak on being a part of the LGBTQ community

Kelly Powell

While the Student Center is typically filled with students meeting regarding budgets and group t-shirts, next week room 306 will host an Israeli superstar.

Assi Azar, a Jewish scriptwriter, radio host and co-host of “Big Brother Israel” will be at Kent State Wednesday, Oct. 28 at 7 p.m.

Azar will speak on his experiences with identifying as gay while being a popular media figure.

The event is being put on as a collaborative effort between Hillel, Delta Lambda Phi, PRIDE! Kent and the LGBTQ Student Center.

“This is an opportunity to strengthen relationships between us and other organizations on campus,” said Hagar Israeli, a Jewish Agency Israel Fellow to Hillel.

Students attending the talk can expect more of a conversation and less of a speech, Israeli said.

“He is a very open man that is not only going to take questions but will also share his personal story,” Israeli said.

Attendees can also plan to hear about the challenges and successes of being in the Israeli LGTBQ community.

“The fact that he is here to talk about her personal story is really meaningful to us,” Israeli said. “It’s nice to hear stories about people who went through the process and went through struggles.”

The event will be open to the public and free of charge.

Kelly Powell is the religion reporter for The Kent Stater. Contact her at [email protected].