EHHS prepares for 6th annual Hall of Fame

Toni Hunt

With the College of Education, Health and Human Services’ (EHHS) sixth annual hall of fame ceremony, its newest inductees help motivate developing professionals to be leaders in today’s society.

EHHS’s Hall of Fame ceremony honors distinguished alumni who have thrived in their career path and embody characteristics EHHS honors to reflect the accomplishments of their college.

EHHS Centennial Alumni Award recipient Violet Bica-Ross said that by building rapport and trust in the community, it made her successful during her career as a past educator. Bica-Ross said to always have respect and confidence when interacting with others.

“I think (students) should be a model,” Bica-Ross said. “Typically, one thing to be concerned about is other (people).”

Bica-Ross said it is important to think of how one can affect others rather than one’s own successes. Acceptance, she said, is the best way to lead others in one’s career path.

Kedron Taylor, a graduate assistant in the dean’s office of EHHS, said the inductees exemplified leadership and are positive influences in their fields for students. Taylor said it is essential for students to network with the alumni.

“I think it is important for (students) to know how to interact with these alumni who’ve accomplished so much, because that could be them one day,” he said. “It’s a great opportunity for students to meet leaders within their own field.” 

Taylor said the inductees act as positive representatives of the university.

“Our alumni leadership recipient this year is Dr. Robert Glaser,” he said. “Not only are we awarding him for being a leader, but also because he should be viewed as a role model for students.”

Zach Nyangau, special assistant in the dean’s office of EHHS, said that networking with the Hall of Fame winners is an important tool for students to take advantage of when becoming an influencer of the community.

“It’s really cool to come and get in contact with them… (and to) introduce yourself,” Nyangua said. “I think it’s really helpful to make those connections between the students and alumni.”

Nyangau said that EHHS recognizes community leaders who are selfless, with every winner actively representing Kent State and the ability to fly the Kent State brand high.

“You really get inspired… (to understand) some of the solutions that they’re bringing to the community and our world. It’s really interesting to get to learn from their experience, how they’ve done it… and when they attribute their success to our college, it’s also a good thing,” he said.

The Hall of Fame ceremony is free and open to the public on Oct. 17 at the Kent State Hotel and Conference Center in downtown Kent.

Toni Hunt is the education health and human services reporter for The Kent Stater. Contact her at [email protected].