CHAARG aims to provide healthy lifestyle community for women at Kent State

The Kent Stater Beachbody Coach and Fitness Instructor Jessie Perry leads members of Kent Chaarg in an outdoor PiYo Session on Friday, Sept. 5, 2014 outside Tri Towers. Kent Chaarg is a new all girls fitness organization lead by Charrg ambasador and Nutrition major Madison Jordan.

Brenna Parker

Kent State’s CHAARG aims to provide a unique community setting for women looking to eat healthy and get in shape. From salsa dancing to ballet, CHAARG wants to provide support and empower women on campus. 

Kent State is one of 25 universities that are part of the national CHAARG network. The organization, which was founded in 2012, stands for changing, health, attitudes and actions to recreate girls.

Taylor Stroemple, a freshman exploratory major, said CHAARG is for everyone no matter what level of fitness.

“I became involved in CHAARG because I enjoy working out, staying active and thought it would be a great way to meet people with similar interests,” Stroemple said.

Participants can take part in main events held on Monday nights that range from yoga, boxing and zumba.

“CHAARG gets you out of your comfort zone and prevents you from doing the same old routine every time you work out,” Stroemple said. “It encompasses a variety of different workouts, which ensures that no one ever gets bored.”

CHAARG founder Elisabeth Tavierne started the organization as a student at Ohio State University. Its mission is to make working out fun for girls.

“While CHAARG focuses a lot on fitness, living a healthy life is so much more than the physical aspect,” Tavierne said on her website. “I hope all of our members grow to embrace a healthy and happy lifestyle.”

CHAARG secretary Kelly Trimper, a sophomore accounting major, said community is the strongest aspect for the organization.

“CHAARG is full of real girls who are struggling with the same things that all college students deal with, but are still trying to live a healthy life and send positive vibes even during the middle of finals week,” Trimper said.

CHAARG will host a body acceptance eating disorder social in Nixon Hall at 5 p.m on Friday Oct. 23.

“We want everyone in CHAARG to feel like a family member, not just another girl in an organization,” Trimper said. “We don’t just workout and leave.”

Kelli Romero, a sophomore exercise science major, said she joined as a transfer student looking to meet people.

“What I like about CHAARG is that it’s a group of young women who are supportive and nonjudgmental,” Romero said. “CHAARG accepts people of all body types and fitness levels.”

In addition to the main events on Mondays, CHAARG provides members with small groups that consist of 15-20 girls who meet on a weekly basis.

“You get an accountability partner to keep you on track,” Romero said. “You get to bond with people who share the same goals with you and get in some good workouts.”

Brenna Parker is the health reporter for The Kent Stater. Contact her at [email protected].