New greek council brings diversity to Greek community

Kayla Sturm

The Integrated Greek council will officially be formed this year to improve diversity in the Greek life community.

“This council formed out of want to see all our current chapters grow and flourish here at Kent State University,” said Camara Thomas, president of the Integrated Greek Council. “We found that we could cover a bigger population of students if we worked together than if were acting as individual organization.”

The Integrated Greek Council is structured similarly like other sororities and fraternities on campus. Thomas said this council represents both fraternal organizations of the National Association of Latino Fraternal Organizations (NALFO) and the National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC).

“I want people to learn about our histories, why we do things differently from Panhel and IFC, and that these are inclusive organizations,” said Nyaruach Chuol, member of Gamma Epsilon Chapter of Sigma Gamma Rho sorority incorporated.

This council is unique because it brings in Latino and African American students to represent diversity in the Greek life community.

“We are a diverse groups of organizations, and despite our historical root in either Latino or African American culture, we do not just accept those demographics,” Thomas said.

It is encouraged that all students learn about the Integrated Greek council.

“Although the NPHC has a historically Black background and NALFO has a historically Latino background, we encourage people of all races to learn about our organization,” said Danielle Macklin, vice-president of the Integrated Greek Council for NPHC.

The Integrated Greek council helps contribute with community service in anyway they can.

“We are community service based organizations so we do a lot of community service. Ranging from creating cards for sick children in Akron’s Children’s Hospital to Working in Campus Kitchen to make food for the Homeless,” Thomas said.

The Integrated Greek Council may be more diverse and may differ from the sorority or fraternity life on campus, but they are still a big part of the community.

“We would like for people to know that there are other Greek letter organization on this campus that are not apart of IFC and Panhellenic Greek councils,” Thomas said.

Kayla Sturm is the greek life reporter for The Kent Stater. Contact her at [email protected].