Kent State raises awareness of breast cancer throughout the month

Samantha Nonno

Kent State is prepared for Breast Cancer Awareness Month with events to engage and address the public about the issue this month.

Many student organizations are working to help raise awareness throughout campus.

During Wednesday’s Late Night Skates, the Womens Center managed a table for the cause and working with representatives from the ice arena, offered handouts and other information about the illness for those in attendance.

“We want to provide students with as much information as we can about breast cancer awareness,” said Zack Nowak, a graduate assistant in Recreational Services.

Along with other organizations, the College of Nursing encourages students, staff and faculty to wear pink every Wednesday throughout the month. They also provide information on how to minimize risks of being diagnosed with cancer.

The Womens Health Center participates in the prevention of breast cancer by issuing mammograms twice a year on campus, offering the service every April and October.

As well as offering mammograms, the Womens Center and the Kent State Office of Sustainability are currently holding a Bra Recycling Drive, lasting from now through Nov. 6.

Bras in good condition will be donated to local charities and worn-out bras will be recycled.

Samantha Nonno is the activities reporter for The Kent Stater. Contact her at [email protected].