Kent State celebrates World Marrow Bone Day

Toni Hunt

Integrated health major, Meghan Yonkof, is a campus ambassador of Gift of Life hosting the first World Marrow Bone Day Sept. 18 on the K outside of the Student Center.

Gift of Life’s campus ambassadors range from students on college campuses to all 50 states. The ambassadors will host a bone marrow drive around their college to recruit donors of bone marrow and blood stem cells.

“It only takes 60 seconds,” Yonkof said. “We say ‘You have 60 seconds to save a life.’”

All volunteers will swab behind each of their molars for 10 seconds. After swabbing, they fill out an envelope with their contact information. Seven to 10 days later the donors will receive an email they complete to finish their process.

Yonkof said she is anticipating a larger amount of volunteers during the World Marrow Bone Day drive.

“I really want to make sure we have enough volunteers,” Yonkof said. “The more volunteers, the more swabs.”

Yonkof said more swabs increases the chances of saving a life.

“I just really want to find a match,” Yonkof said. “(To) keep adding to the bone marrow registry so no one has to pass away from something that can be prevented.”

World Marrow Bone Day is Sept. 19, but it will be celebrated at Kent Sept. 18 from 10-3 p.m. For more information about the drive and future events visit Gift Of Life Campus Ambassador Program Facebook page.

Toni Hunt is the education, health and human services reporter for The Kent Stater. Contact her at [email protected].