Nonprofit studies minor offers new series

Toni Hunt

The College of Education, Health and Human Services, through the nonprofit studies minor, will present the Nonprofit Spotlight Series.

This coming spring semester, it is a new speaker series featuring nonprofit professionals.

The Nonprofit Spotlight Series will provide useful information that students from any concentration can apply to their career path.

“We will be bringing in nonprofit executive directors from local, state and national levels to address all the aspects of nonprofit management to our students,” said program director Kathy Bergh.

Bergh said the nonprofit minor is interdisciplinary; being relevant among a large spectrum of students. She said the Nonprofit Spotlight series will provide insight in leadership, marketing, strategic planning, grant writing and fundraising, similar to the aspects covered in the curriculum path offered in the nonprofit minor.

“We have found that students from a variety of majors are enhancing their employability upon graduation by having expertise in the nonprofit area,” Bergh said.

Jeffrey Bowen, professor of nonprofit fundraising and grant writing, has more than 21 years of hands-on experience in nonprofit studies. Bowen said it’s essential to learn nonprofit studies and that he is honored to be back to provide students insight.

“I think it’s a very exciting opportunity to both spotlight nonprofit organizations that serve the greater Kent region and also to spotlight the nonprofit minor program,” Bowen said. “(It’s also great) how students can be involved with (the community) and know more about what are some more specific community needs and what are the organizations doing to meet those needs.”

Bergh said many students are excited for the Spotlight series and that they think it’s a wonderful idea.

Elizabeth Taylor, a senior business management major, said she is anticipating the opportunities that students may receive from the Spotlight speakers.

“I’m most excited about how this is a great opportunity for students to learn more about the nonprofit field,” Taylor said. “(It’s great how) it can provide students with connections that can lead to internships or job opportunities.”

To find out more about the nonprofit minor at Kent State, visit the School of Lifespan Development & Educational Services page.

Toni Hunt is the education health and human services reporter for The Kent Stater. Contact her at [email protected].