Kent State’s LGBTQ community holds discussion about bisexuality

Daria Gaither

In honor of National Bisexuality Day, the LGBTQ Student Center held a roundtable discussion Thursday to discuss bisexuality as an orientation and the stereotypes associated with being bisexual.

Students and faculty gathered outside the LGBTQ Student Center getting ready for the long awaited discussion about bisexuality, “Bisexuality: The Ghost Orientation,” a roundtable discussion about the history, stereotypes and myths of bisexuality.

The facilitator of the discussion, Marijo Zvonimir, LGBTQ Student Center student intern, is a graduate student whose area of focus is mathematics. Zvonimir said he hosted the event to help change attitudes about bisexuality and to encourage others to think culturally about what they hear.

At the start of the discussion, Zvonimir posed the question, “In your own words, what does it mean to be bisexual?”

Students began to give their own opinions of bisexuality followed by a brief discussion on the history of bisexuality. After the discussion of the history, Mario shared famous bisexuals and showed a couple video clips from Buzzfeed, showcasing stereotypes and myths of bisexuals.

Coward, confused and indecisive were just a few words used by the facilitator as stereotypes of bisexual people when opening up the floor to the attendees.

The first and most controversial myth thrown into the roundtable discussion was bisexuality does not exist. Many of the students in attendance began to rattle out their own opinions of bisexuality as an orientation. In the LGBTQ community, bisexuals are oftentimes not accepted. Zvonimir had a bad coming out experience and does not want others to go through what he went through alone.

“I want to be the role model for others that I never had,” Zvonimir said.

Those involved in the discussion began to talk about the perception of bisexuality in the media and how the opinion of bisexuality differs between men and women.

Olivia Eitzman, a bisexual freshman double majoring in fine arts and anthropology said she attended this event in hopes of finding others around campus who identify just as she does.

“I have always found women attractive,” Eitzman said. “I didn’t know it would affect my social orientation.”

Eitzman came to the event hoping to learn more about bisexuality and how it differs from other sexualities.

“I want to better understand bisexuality and myself,” Eitzman said.

The LGBTQ Student Center encourages all students to engage in its events, whether you are apart of the LGBTQ community or just an ally of the LGBTQ community.

LGBTQ Student Center director Ken Ditlevson closed out the discussion and said he hopes the event brings unity for everyone.

“We are here for all Kent State students, not just the LGBTQ community,” Ditlevson said.

Daria Gaither is the diversity reporter for The Kent Stater. Contact her at [email protected].