Kent State works to prevent violence with Green Dot Week

Natalie Davis (left) and Darian Stephens (right) discuss signs of stalking in their workbooks on March 5, 2015. Natalie and Darian along with their classmates are training to become Green Dot Certified.

Dana Miller

The Office of Sexual and Relationship Violence Support Service (SRVSS,) will hold its second annual Green Dot Week, Sept. 8 to Sept. 11.

It will be held within the main campus, spreading awareness about prevention of power-based violence, sexual assault, intimate partner violence and stalking.

“It’s more than just food and the giveaways. It’s the life skills that it teaches you,” said director of SRVSS Jennifer O’Connell. “I want to prevent something from happening and I want to see the numbers go down. I don’t want students getting hurt.”

Starting on Tuesday, there will be activities outside the M.A.C. Center with giveaways and food from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

Wednesday is all about taking over social media with pictures of students wearing green on campus to help spread the word. Staff will be throughout residence halls on Thursday to inform students on the movement and to hang up green dots in the hallways.

To end the week, visit the Green Dot table at Black Squirrel Fest for some great opportunities and more giveaways.

“People who go through the workshop walk away kind of viewing things differently and really think about who they are as a person,” said O’Connell. “It has a life message to it, not just to learn about Green Dot.”

To become more involved, Green Dot will be offering three training workshops this semester for anyone who is interested. Learn more at kent.edu/greendot.

Dana Miller is a reporter for The Kent Stater. Contact her at [email protected]