Most popular jobs: Benefits of working on campus

Holly Keller, a freshman psychology major, works at the upstairs dining hall in Eastway on Sept 23, 2015.

Maggie Wachtel

It’s a new school year, and with that comes one of the busiest times of the year for Career Services.

Career Services aims to help students find on-campus jobs, as well as to prepare them for life after college. They provide career experts and counselors for students to meet with, as well as conduct mock interviews.

Career Services provides students with an online job portal called Flash @ Work, which displays listings for many on campus jobs students can then apply for. Each department posts their own position openings and students can apply by submitting an application and a resume, if requested.

Ami Hollis, associate director for student employment, finds the positives of working on campus greatly outweigh the negatives.

“On-campus jobs are so popular because of the benefits,” Hollis said. “Students want a job that fits in with their schedule and that’s what working on campus provides.”

Hollis said the supervisors are very lenient when things come up with students. They are more understanding when a student falls ill or something comes up with class and can’t make it to work.

Dining Services is one of the biggest employers of students on campus. They hire around 1,000 students annually, Hollis said.

Freshman psychology major Holly Keller works at Eastway Dining Hall and said there are many benefits to working on campus.

“I’ve met a lot of my classmates and friends from working here, and it’s been awesome to get to know them,” Keller said.

Hollis said other departments that hire large amounts of students include the Student Recreation and Wellness Center, Information Services and the University Library.

Junior electronic media major Tiffany Harris works at the front desk in the library, and said it has its benefits.

“I get a lot of my homework done while I’m at work,” Harris said. “That’s definitely my favorite part about having a campus job.” 

Hollis said for many students, this is their first job, which is why Career Services also aims to help students learn real-world skills, like punctuality and communication.

“We want to mentor the students and make sure they understand the basics of work,” Hollis said. “We want them to learn what it means to be on time and to use good communication skills. We reinforce all of that.”

Maggie Wachtel is the finance reporter for The Kent Stater. Contact her at [email protected].