Take Back the Night raises awareness about sexual assault

Carson Kleinman

The Office of Sexual and Relationship Violence Support Services (SRVSS) will be hosting a march in front of the M.A.C. Center called Take Back the Night, giving a voice to those impacted by sexual assault from 7:30 to 9 p.m. on Oct. 5.

The march will open with a name burning ceremony.

“We start off with a name burning ceremony as a way to help survivors heal,” said Alicia Robinson, Program Coordinator of the Women’s and Gender Centers.

Following the ceremony will be guest speaker Katie Hanna from the Ohio Alliance to End Sexual Violence (OAESV).

“As we march through-out campus, we say different chants to help raise awareness,” Robinson said.

After the march, students meet at the Women’s Center where a Speak Out will take place giving students the opportunity to share their story and receive support.

The Take Back The Night foundation stands by the quote, “No one should fear the night . . . or the day. Shatter the Silence. Stop the Violence.”

This international march was started in the 1970s as a protest against rape and other forms of sexualized violence.

Take Back The Night is intended to symbolize women uniting against fear and violence as they walk through the dark of night. The mission of this charitable organization is to create safe communities and respectful relationships through awareness events and initiatives.

Take Back The Night is open to all Kent State students. The SRVSS office urges those who wish to make a change or wish to receive support to come to this event.

Students who would like to share their stories, receive private support services, or have questions about the event can contact Alicia Robinson at [email protected].

Carson Kleinman is the safety and transportation reporter for The Kent Stater. Contact her at [email protected].