Mr. Flash winner announced

Mr. Salsa, Sophomore Visual Communication Design major Brent Flores shows off his dance moves for the Mr. Flash Pagent.

Weslee Clyde

After Magie Mike, Macklemore and Skrillex impersonations from the eight contestants, the title of Mr. Flash 2015 was awarded to junior biology major Chris Myrick Tuesday night at the fourth annual Mr. Flash Pageant.

Mr. Flash is sponsored by Center for Student Involvement and was held in the Student Center Ballroom as a part of Homecoming Week.

Last year, the event was held at the Kiva and hundreds of students were unable to enter the event due to a limited amount of seating.

The event was moved to the ballroom this year in order to seat more people. Students and faculty still lined the walls without an empty seat left in the room.

Upon entering the event, attendees were handed yellow Kent State noise makers and blue and gold pom-poms to cheer on their favorite of the eight contestants.

Mr. Flash was chosen by a judging panel comprised of Chris Miller, a 2004 Kent State alumni; Andrew Cappuzzello, last year’s Mr. Flash recipient and active FLASHanthropy supporter; and Yvette Mendoza, an adviser to many student organizations.

“I am looking to have fun,” Mendoza said. “I am not looking for anything in particular just someone who is comfortable and wants to be up there.”

Hosts Darnell Craig and Denzel Washington kicked off the competition with men’s formal, announcing all eight contestants as well as the student organization they represented.

The celebrity impersonations category followed, with Myrick doing his best beatbox impersonation of Skrillex.

Senior fashion design major Kahdeejah Humphrey rang her bell to cheer on the contestants during the talent portion.

“My favorite part of the competition is seeing all of the talents,” she said. “It is so cool to see how different each contestant is.”

Sophomore physical education major PJ Camargo was a crowd favorite with his Magic Mike impersonation, as well as sophomore visual communication design major Brent Flores’ Carlton dance from the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

After the talent portion, the competition was cut down to five contestants. Those contestants were still eligible for Mr. Congeniality and the Audience Favorite.

The top five contestants drew a random question pertaining to Kent State and had to answer on the spot.

Following a drumroll, Myrick was announced as Mr. Flash 2015 and accepted his trophy while posing for pictures.

“To me, Mr. Flash means new opportunities for my group, the Kent Clarks,” he said. 

Mr. Congeniality was awarded to visual communication design major Christopher Hunter, the pageant’s first transgender contestant, who did a Macklemore impression that had the crowd on its feet.

Audience members voted for their favorite contestant via text during the event. Flores won the Audience Favorite award with his salsa-themed performance.

As well as a trophy and bragging rights, the winner of Mr. Flash received $500 for his organization and will walk in the Homecoming parade Saturday.

Contact Weslee Clyde at [email protected].