Kent Free Library hosts ‘study hall’

Kate Chilson

The Kent Free Library is creating a “study hall” for Kent State students to come to during finals week.

From May 2 to May 7, Kent Free Library’s Café and Carnegie Section will be transformed into a study area available to students.

The library will provide free coffee and tea to students who bring their own cups and lids, and beverages and outside food are welcome anywhere inside the library.

Students need to bring FLASHcards with them to verify that they are students.

“Many students say that it is a very comfortable, quiet place where they can concentrate and we want them to feel that even more during finals week when students feel stressed,” said Kristen Pool, the community and special services manager of Kent Free Library.

Along with the “study hall” area, the library offers many other study spaces for students, including study rooms and small conference rooms. The library also provides black and white printing for $.10 and color printing for $.25. Black and white photocopiers and free WiFi are also available.

This is the second year that Kent Free Library has hosted study halls for Kent State students. The library isn’t aiming for a particular number of students to show up but just wants to serve the community by being a comfortable place for students.

“The library staff enjoys having students here,” Pool said. “There really is a special energy in the library when many students are here studying, and I think it makes everyone more energized.”

Kent Free Library is located on West Main Street and offers free parking. For more information contact the Information Desk at [email protected] or 330-673-4414.

Contact Kate Chilson at [email protected].