Baseball struggles, wins one of three against Ohio

Senior Josh Pierce pitches the ball during a game against Ball State on Saturday, April 11, 2015.

Andrew Bugel

The Kent State baseball team (21-15, 9-6 Mid-American Conference) didn’t get off to a good start against Ohio University this weekend. After a heart-breaking loss in game one, the bats didn’t show up for the Flashes in game two; however, everything was firing on all cylinders in game three.

“We were able to finish strong offensively and score in the sixth, seventh and eighth innings,” coach Jeff Duncan said, referring to the team’s win Sunday in the final game of the series.

Friday, April 17: Ohio University 7, Kent State 5

A five-run ninth inning blew a golden opportunity for the team to win the opening game of a three-game series against Ohio.

Junior Nick Jensen-Clagg allowed only one run and pitched great over the course of 6.1 innings. He also struck out five batters.

The trouble began in the ninth inning, with Kent State boasting a 5-2 lead and freshman Zack Willeman pitching. Four runs crossed the plate while Willeman was on the hill, only two of which were earned.

Two wild pitches, one by Willeman and another by redshirt senior Josh Pierce, allowed Ohio to break the 5-5 tie and take the victory.

Senior Tommy Monnot led the way offensively by going 3-4, and senior Jeff Revesz had three RBI including a two-run double in the eighth inning.

Saturday, April 18: Ohio University 11, Kent State 4

It was a rough second game both offensively and defensively for Kent State. The team jumped to an early 2-0 lead thanks to a pair of RBI by Monnot and sophomore Conner Simonetti in the first inning.

Sophomore Eric Lauer only allowed one earned run after six innings of work, but redshirt junior Tim Faix (0-1) and redshirt freshman Zach Spangler struggled in the seventh inning.

Ohio got seven runs in that inning: Faix was responsible for four of them, and Spangler was responsible for three.

Errors also plagued the team as they committed three during the course of the game.

Revesz, junior Zarley Zalewski and senior Sawyer Polen led the team with two hits apiece.

Sunday, April 19: Kent State 9, Ohio University 2

Led by freshman Tim DalPorto’s 4-4 performance with three RBI, and sophomore Andy Ravel’s sixth win of the season, the team was able to score a victory in the final game of the series.

“We’re definitely planning on moving forward in a positive way after this win,” Duncan said. Hopefully we can get back on track.”

Kent State faces Penn State at the Olga Mural Field at Schoonover Stadium on Tuesday at 6 p.m.

Contact Andrew Bugel at [email protected].