Residence Services provides housing for students over spring break

Lauren Biertempfel

Many students leave campus for spring break, but for some students, leaving is not an option.

For students who have to stay on campus during spring break, Residence Services has a set of procedures to follow.

“The housing contract students signed is for the academic year, minus winter break and spring break because those are two times when the university closes, or scales back operations,” said Jill Church, director of Residence Services.

Students are required to move out of the residence halls during the week of spring break. Campus operations close down, including dining halls and area desks, while students go home or go on vacation, Church said.

She said students usually stay on campus for internships or are from out of the area and cannot afford to go home for break.

Between six and eight RAs are hired to stay on campus for spring break, she said. Seven residence halls remain open in addition to the Tri-Towers area desk and the Student Center Hub for dining purposes.

Residence halls that stay open include Beal, McDowell, Leebrick, Koonce, Wright and Engleman halls, as well as Centennial Courts C and D, said Daniel Shonk, assistant director of Residence Services.

Students are required to make arrangements with Residence Services to move into an empty room and will be charged $25 per night, he said.

“Last year, including RA staff, roughly 150 students had some type of spring break housing,” Shonk said. This housing could include staying one or two extra nights, a full week or returning to campus a couple days early.

If students need to stay on campus until noon on Saturday, March 21, they should contact their hall director to make arrangements, he said. 

The residence halls will reopen to students Sunday, March 29 at 9 a.m.

For more information, visit the spring break housing section on the residence services website.

Contact Lauren Biertempfel at [email protected]