Miss Southeast Ohio Pageant winner credits pageants for confidence

Matti Chrisman, of Kent State, poses for judges during The Stripes Flight Evening Gown Competition portion of the Miss Southeast Ohio pageant Saturday at Secrest Auditorium in downtown Zanesville. Photo courtesy of Shane Flanigan.

Matti Chrisman, of Kent State, poses for judges during “The Stripes Flight Evening Gown Competition” portion of the Miss Southeast Ohio pageant Saturday at Secrest Auditorium in downtown Zanesville. Photo courtesy of Shane Flanigan.

Payton Moore

Upon entering the Miss Southeast Ohio Pageant, Matti Chrisman never expected to pull away with the win. The sophomore musical theater major entered the competition to test the waters, as it was her first “Miss” competition. On Feb. 21, Chrisman became the new Miss Southeast Ohio.

Chrisman began competing her freshman year of high school due to her best friend’s plan for the two of them to participate together.

“She was like, ‘It can be our thing; we’ll do it together!’ and I had no interest… but she talked me into it, and I won my first competition and I continued to compete,” Chrisman said.

Chrisman was among 17 contenders for the pageant, partaking in five events. Judges start with a private interview, and Chrisman said this is the most important time for the judges to root for you. Following the interview are the bikini and evening gown sessions, a test for the girls to demonstrate their confidence. Competitors are also required to perform a talent, and for Chrisman, her major helps in just that.

“I sing and dance, but it’s a lot of character. I take on a whole new person. I’m not really myself, and I think they see that…,” Chrisman said. “In interview, I’m composed, and then the judges see me on stage and they’re like, ‘Who is that?’”

All competitors in the pageant must present a platform, or a philanthropic effort they make and act as a promoter for. Chrisman described hers as “The K.E.Y. to success” or Keeping our Eyes on the Youth. Her efforts hope to promote extracurricular activities for students.

Pageants, for Chrisman, have always pushed her out of her comfort zone to become a well-spoken, goal-driven person. Chrisman said she almost opted out of competing in the Miss Southeast Ohio Pageant. She acknowledged her friend, saying if it were not for her, she would not have participated. 

“She encouraged me to do this one as well, because once again, I felt very insecure,” Chrisman said.

Popular TV shows such as “Toddlers and Tiaras” have created a stigma for pageantry that includes middle-aged women pushing their children into competing all while pouring Mountain Dew and Pixie Stix concoctions down their throats. Chrisman explains pageants are not what many students believe them to be.

“(Pageants) are about natural and inner beauty. Yeah, we wear makeup and a pretty dress, but it’s more about confidence, self-esteem, how well you can speak for yourself and your platform, ” Chrisman said. 

For girls interested in pursing pageants, Chrisman rules out the major roadblocks stopping people from competing.

“You don’t have to spend a million dollars to find perfect clothes. You don’t have to be a supermodel,” Chrisman said. “A lot of girls think, ‘Swim suit? I could never do that. I’m not a Victoria’s Secret model,’ but that’s not what the judges are looking for.”

Chrisman will participate in the Miss Ohio competition in November.

Contact Payton Moore at [email protected].