Opinion: Self-reliability is key

Zachary Downes

Zachary Downes

Zachary Downes

Some people go through life feeling like things should be or just are handed to them. That mentality really needs to stop. This is one major thing I have noticed with our generation. Everyone feels entitled to something. Now, I can say that I have been a victim to this thought process but I’m slowly growing up. Slowly.

When students come to college, their parents tend to hand them things to get through the school year and to help them land on their feet. Some students hit the ground running with adulthood and do well, while others think they are doing well but Mom and Dad’s pocket book is what fuels their life. In some instances, such as getting a major car repair, that’s okay. Now, having your dad feeding your shopping habit is not. Well, not all the time.

I have been a victim of this myself, I guess I am a hypocrite, but I realize that it’s a bad habit. Some people are not as well off as I am.

For instance: I was walking through the student center one day and over heard a girl talking to someone on the phone and this is what I heard.

“Well, I don’t know how to do that. My dad usually gets my oil changed for me and I’ll just make him do it while I go shopping with my friend…AND I know he’ll let me use his credit card.”

This was probably the most irritating thing I had heard all day. If you don’t know how to get your oil changed, which by the way, is going down to Walmart Automotive and saying “I need an oil change,” then I have lost faith in you. It’s not that hard.

The best thing I’ve heard this semester — yes I know it’s February but this one wins —  ­a boy was talking to friends about his car in the Bowman.

“Man I don’t pay for gas, I wouldn’t even know how to do that. I just make my mom go pump gas for me and then she makes me dinner,”

Please stop with this. This is why I am afraid for our generation. We need to learn how to do things on our own and need to stop feeling as if other people will do them for us. We’re not going to get anywhere in life with this type of mentality.

So in conclusion, I guess. People need to learn to be more self-sufficient and STOP relying on parents and friends to do things for them. It’s college, time to grow up.

Also, who is Beck and why did he win a grammy?

Contact Zachary Downes at [email protected].