Hall’s career night leads Flashes to Saturday win over Ball State

Kent State junior center Khaliq Spicer dunks the ball during the Flashes 67-60 win over the Toledo Rockets in the M.A.C. Center Wednesday, Jan. 21, 2015.

Stephen Means II

Redshirt sophomore forward Jimmy Hall scored a career-high 32 points, including 20 in the first half, leading Kent State to a 63-52 victory over the Ball State Cardinals (7-10, 2-4 MAC) on Saturday.

Hall’s performance comes after having a not-so-memorable game last Wednesday night against Toledo. Hall shot 2-9 from the field and finished with six points and four fouls.

“Guys found him in good spots, and he finished around the rim,” coach Rob Senderoff said of Hall’s performance. “They don’t have many shot blockers out there, and we knew that going into the game. When he shot that three and it went in, I sort of knew it might be his night.”

Kent State redshirt senior guard Derek Jackson, who finished with six points, once again showed why he is one of the better defenders in the Mid-American Conference.

Jackson shut down the Cardinals’ leading scorer, sophomore guard Zavier Turner, holding him to just five points. Turner came into the game averaging 13.1 points overall and 16.8 points in conference play.

“He’s been defending at a high level at all times and today was no different,” Senderoff said of the fifth-year senior. “He’s had a great assist-to-turnover ratio all year.”

After losing their conference opener, Kent State has now won five straight games.

The Cardinals were led by freshman forward Sean Sellers with 16 points and sophomore forward Franko House with 13 points.

The Flashes (14-5, 5-1 MAC) will take on Central Michigan (14-3, 4-2 MAC) Tuesday at the M.A.C. Center. Tip-off is at 7 p.m.

Contact Stephen Means at [email protected].