Kent PRSSA receives top honors

The Public Relations Student Society (PRSSA) named Kent State University the winner of the 2014 Outstanding Chaper award at its National Conference on October 13, 2014.

Julia Kerchenski

Cindy Deng, former president of the Kent chapter of the Public Relations Student Society of America, was awarded the National Gold Key by the national PRSSA this year.

The National Gold Key honors students who have excelled in public relations. It is awarded only to seniors or graduate students who have been leaders in their PRSSA chapter.

“It’s the highest individual honor that a student can receive from the National Public Relations Student Society of America,” said Michele Ewing, Kent PRSSA faculty advisor.

Deng has been a member of the Kent chapter of PRSSA since her freshman year in 2011. Ewing said Deng has been involved from the moment she stepped on campus.

Deng was elected the 2012-13 PRSSA Kent president, which was the first time a junior had been president since she became the faculty advisor 11 years ago.

Under Deng’s leadership, PRSSA Kent won the national PRSSA 2014 Outstanding Chapter Teahan award. This award, according to a press release, is the highest honor a chapter can receive from the organization, making Kent PRSSA the top student chapter in the nation.

“If there’s an opportunity for her to help out, she does,” Gabrielle Woodard, PRSSA Kent vice president of public relations, said. “If anyone ever needs anything, she’s there. There was never any question if Cindy would get things done.”

Deng said she has worked hard to make sure her chapter is always growing and succeeding.

“I’ve been giving it my hardest effort to excel in my skill sets as an individual and to help my chapter grow,” Deng said.

Contact Julia Kerchenski at [email protected].