KSU students get #ReadyforHillary

The Ready for Hillary bus sits outside the MAC Center on Monday, Nov. 10, 2014. The bus tour group was on campus passing out free posters and stickers to spread the word about supporting Hillary Clinton in the 2016 presidential election; however, the former First Lady has not yet officially announced that she is running.

Hannah Armenta

The Ready for Hillary campaign bus made its 41st college visit at Kent State University on Monday to rally Kent State students in support of Hillary Clinton’s possible U.S. presidential bid in the 2016 election.

Ready for Hillary is an independent political action committee whose goal is to encourage Clinton to run for president of the United States in 2016 by letting her know people stand behind her.

The Kent State Ready for Hillary club was established this semester by a small group of five students and now has more than 120 student supporters. The club was instrumental in bringing the grassroots campaign to campus.

“I feel young people have to do our best to get students interested,” said Matthew Chernesky, the president of the KSU Ready for Hillary club and a sophomore political science major.

The club works to build support for Clinton on campus and educate students on future elections.

“Ready for Hilary works with universities to promote youth involvement with politics and raise awareness for the 2016 elections,” Chernesky said.

The grassroots tour began in late June and will continue throughout the year.

“We bring out excitement to campuses and say thanks for being excited, we are too,” said Kendall Bentsen, the young American organizer for Ready for Hillary.

According to the Ready for Hillary website, the PAC has more than two million supporters, including 50,000 donors.

The money the PAC raises is used for events for supporters, phones banks and grassroots campaigning, including the bus tour that stops at college campuses, Bentsen said.

The PAC is trying to reach out to college students and encourage them to get involved.

“Not only is she a woman, but she has a background of helping people,” said Vernee Lightfoot, a junior criminal justice major. “I want to see what she can do for America.”

Students received a free #ready poster if they pledged their support to Clinton.

More than 50 people, mostly students, pledged their support, including sophomore public relations major Shane Beneke.

“If I had to see a woman president, I’d rather see her,” Beneke said.

Contact Hannah Armenta at [email protected].