Flashes sweep MAC weekly honors for second time this season

Quarterback Dustin Crum dives forward to end a first down run during Kent State’s 52-47 win over Northern Illinois on Wednesday night. 

Jimmy Oswald Sports Editor

After its commanding shutout against Akron, the Kent State football team swept the Mid-American Conference East Division weekly awards for the second time in three weeks. 

Graduate student quarterback Dustin Crum won his fourth MAC Offensive Player of the Week award of the season, and it is his third in four games. 

Crum had a season-high 114 rushing yards, the most since KSU’s Frisco Bowl victory in 2019, and he had a team-high two rushing touchdowns. He averaged 12.6 yards per run. He now has 10 rushing touchdowns this season, tying sophomore running back Marquez Cooper for the team lead. 

Crum went 8-of-13 for 55 yards in the passing game. He also had the team’s only punt of the day, a 30-yard pooch punt that was downed at the one-yard line. 

Sophomore defensive lineman C.J. West was awarded the Defensive Player of the Week honor. West had three sacks, the most by a Flash since 2016, after coming into the game with only one career sack. He had five total tackles with a team-high three tackles for a loss. He helped keep Akron off the board in KSU’s first shutout since 2009. 

Freshman kicker Andrew Glass won his second Special Teams Player of the Week honor, his second in three games. He kicked three-straight field goals in the second half and was 4-for-4 on extra point attempts. He also helped limit Akron’s return game, only allowing 71 yards on eight kickoffs. 

Kent State will play Miami for the MAC East Division title on Saturday. The winner will play Northern Illinois in the MAC Championship game on Dec. 4.

Jimmy Oswald is a sports editor. Contact him at [email protected].