Three KSU soccer players earn all-MAC honors

Kent State freshman center midfielder Kristen Brots attempts to gain possession of the ball at the game against Miami University on Friday, Oct. 10, 2014. The game ended in a draw, 1-1.

Ben Orner

Three Kent State soccer players are putting the “gold” in Golden Flashes.

On Thursday, the Mid-American Conference announced its All-MAC First, Second and Freshman teams, and a trio of Kent State soccer players were picked to be among the best in the conference.

Sophomore forward Jenna Hellstrom was selected to the All-MAC First Team after her team-best performance this season. The Sudbury, Ontario native netted seven goals (three game-winners), recorded six assists and got off 60 shots. She led the Flashes in all four categories and was Kent State’s offensive anchor this season.

After just two seasons, Hellstrom, the 2013 MAC Freshman of the Year, ranks seventh all-time in the Kent State record books for game-winning goals, ninth in goals scored in a single season, fifth in assists and eighth in points.

While no Flashes were selected for the All-MAC Second Team, two were selected for the All-MAC Freshman Team.

Freshman Kristen Brots and redshirt freshman Doni Capehart both recorded seven points, with Capehart scoring three goals and Brots scoring two.

Capehart’s finest moment this season was when she scored two goals in a 3-0 win against Akron to win back a Wagon Wheel point on Sept. 28.

Brots started 19 of 20 games and received the most playing time of any freshman, logging 1,180 minutes out of a possible 1,841.

The MAC Tournament is currently in full swing, with the semi-final round on Sunday. Kent State was defeated last Sunday, 2-0, by Ball State in the first round of the MAC Tournament, thus ending Kent State’s season with a 10-7-3 record and 5-4-2 league record.

Contact Ben Orner at [email protected].