University issues weather advisory information

Madeleine Winer

With the two to four inches of snow expected to blanket campus today, Kent State University detailed its winter weather procedures in an email it sent to students Monday. 

The university does not close or cancel classes because of cold weather, winter ice and/or snow conditions, according to the email from Provost Todd Diacon and Senior Vice President for Finance and Administration Greg Floyd. However, some weather conditions may delay or cancel classes or close the Kent campus.

Kent State consults the City of Kent’s Department of Public Safety and university’s Facilities Planning and Operations before it makes a decision to cancel classes. The university will typically delay the opening of the Kent Campus, or let the campus community know of a campus closure before 6 a.m. Most morning classes and all-day cancellations will be announced before 10 a.m. and afternoon and evening class cancellations before 3 p.m.

With a delayed opening of the Kent campus, classes will not begin before 10 a.m., unless otherwise noted. Students in special classes such as clinicals, should consult with their dean or professor about delay and cancellation procedures. Employees will report to work when the delay has been lifted. Essential employees including those that work for dining services and at the Rec center should consult their supervisors.

In the case of a delay, cancellation or closing, the Kent State community will be informed through Flash ALERTS text messages, a Flashline email, Kent State social media outlets, Kent State’s advisory page, local television broadcasts and on KentWired.com, the same vehicles as those used by the Kent campus.

Contact Madeleine Winer at [email protected].