CAED groundbreaking ceremony showcases sustainability

Despite bad weather, President Warren amongst others, break ground to start the construction of the new architecture building Friday, Oct. 3, 2014.

Anthony Didion

The College of Architecture and Environmental Design (CAED) building groundbreaking ceremony showcased the space that will become a sustainable learning center and inspiration for all future Kent State Architecture and Environmental Design students.

“The new building contributes to our philosophy that we preach to our students about sustainable design,” said Douglas Steidl, the dean of CAED. “We think we designed a building that is a learning experience to our students and also an inspiration.”

The groundbreaking ceremony took place Friday, Oct. 3, at 3:30 p.m. on Kent State’s esplanade, next to the Wick Poetry Center. More than 300 alumni, students and members of the general public attended the ceremony, and it marked the first step in the construction of the futuristic building. Steidl, Kent State President Beverly Warren, alumnus John Elliot and building architects Marion Weiss and Michael Manfredi spoke at the event.

Manfredi said one important aspect of this building is the use of the newest technology to make it as sustainable as possible.  

“This building will receive platinum (LEED certification),” Manfredi said. “That is the highest standard of sustainable buildings.”

Steidl said the building will include geothermal heating and cooling, a green roof, roof water recycling, LED lighting, natural lighting and other sustainable features.  

“The design and economic impact this building has is about the future,” Steidl said. “It will provide spaces for creative consultation.”

The eye-opening building will also serve as an important link from Kent State to the city of Kent, Warren said.

“This is a beautiful exemplar of the engagement of Kent State University and the city of Kent,” she said. “It will be a showcase leading down the esplanade into the city.”

The new building will bring all CAED students together under one roof and allow for more peer-to-peer interaction, which Steidl said is important in the design professions. The building will also enrich the learning for future CAED students, Steidl said.  

Warren said Kent State demonstrates its strengths in both art and science by incorporating the Wick Poetry Center and the future architecture building along the esplanade.  

“It is a true demonstration of a university that cares equally about the arts and sciences, and the real creative power that occurs when we blend our creative side and our scientific side,” Warren said.

Alumnus John Elliot said the alumni of Kent State see a bright future with the addition of the new CAED building.  

“We know that the future efforts and contributions to society by the students who will pass through our new facility will contribute to a much better world,” Elliot said.

The new CAED building will be located on the side of Kent State’s esplanade across from the Wick Poetry Center. The building is part of Kent State’s Foundations of Excellence: Building the Future program. The program strives to keep up with modern technology and revitalize the university for the future. 

Contact Anthony Didion at [email protected].