Residence Services to celebrate completed Tri-Towers renovations

Carolyn Pippin

More than 64,000 students have lived in the Tri-Towers buildings since 1968.

Renovations on the Tri-Towers buildings began in 2012, and in commemoration of the renovations coming to an end, Residence Services will host a celebration Oct. 15 from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at the Circle Plaza.

“It’s going to be for anyone who wants to come and see what we’ve done,” said John White, associate director of Residence Services.

The buildings were built and dedicated in 1968 and were named after three constituents at the time.

Jill Church, director of Residence Services, said that Koonce Hall is named after a student, Judith Koonce; Wright Hall is named after former professor G. Harry Wright; and Leebrick Hall is named after Karl Leebrick, former president of the university from 1938 to 1943.

President Beverly Warren, Vice President for Enrollment Affairs Gregory Jarvie and Kent Interhall Council President Brie Jutte will speak at the event.

“There will be food, so people can mingle and socialize and eat,” Church said. “There will be music, we have a DJ who is going to play. It will be a good atmosphere.”

Attendees will be invited to go take a tour of each of the buildings.

“They’ll be able to go to the Wright sky lounge, the Koonce sky lounge and the 12th floor of Leebrick,” Church said. “On the TV screens up there, we’re going to play a slideshow of the renovation of the before, during and after.”

Students and guests will also have the opportunity to sign pictures of each building that are going to hang in the lobby of the three buildings.

White said the mementos will be dedicated so that 20 years from now students will know what happened during the renovation process. The celebration, Church said, will also be a reward for everyone involved.      

“Students have really been patient through the process, and we want to give them a party to say thank you and we’re also proud of what we’ve done,” she said.

Contact Carolyn Pippin at [email protected]