Halloween on campus

Halloween

Halloween

Joy TaMar

Costumes are being bought, scary movies are being watched and candy is being eaten. Parties are being held and haunted houses are ready to scare. While Kent Halloween might have already happened, there’s still fun to be had on campus. Organizations on campus are getting into the spirit of Halloween by hosting events in honor of the season’s theme. 

Kasia Gibbs, a senior fashion merchandising major and president of Modista, a minority fashion group, planned Modista’s Halloween events and an informational session Oct. 22 in Rockwell Hall auditorium. The event informed students how to have fun in a safe way during the festivities, and how to add flare to one’s holiday costume. 

“We had Officer (Michquel) Penn come in and talk about what happens during Halloween and how to be safe and keep a safe environment,” Gibbs said. “And we had Alyssa Thompson, who’s a make-up artist and global communications major, come in and she did make up on one of our members … she showed us how to do zombie ghoulish make-up.”

During the month of October, different organizations on campus have been preparing students for Halloween. With the theme of the season in mind, their events provided a safe environment for students to have and create wicked fun. 

“We wanted to create a safe environment, so before Halloween started we wanted to make sure that everyone knew about what was going on and how to stay safe,” Gibbs said. 

The Center for Student Involvement, along with Kent Student Center Programming, is adding to the fun on campus by showing Halloween-themed movies in the Kiva. Real Late Reels will be showing Ghostbusters on Halloween at 11 p.m., and Sat., Nov. 1, at 8 p.m. and again at 11 p.m. 

Associate Director of CSI Jennifer Gunnoe that said by showing Ghostbusters in the Kiva, it gives students who’d rather stay on campus an opportunity to participate in Halloween.

“We typically get a lot of people at our Real Late Reels movies that we show … so we try to time film titles around seasonal type activities,” Gunnoe said. 

The showing also showcases the film’s 30th anniversary. Ghostbusters first debuted in 1984. 

“We thought it would be kind of fun to show that title just because it was the anniversary and its getting some headlines in the news because it’s such a classic film,” Gunnoe said. “It’s been 30 years but the movie still holds up, it’s hilarious and a lot of fun. We just wanted to be able to provide things that set the mood and tone for the season.”

Dining services is also giving students another option for Halloween. If students are looking for another way to have scary fun, they can participate in Nightmare at Eastway on Oct. 29 from 4:30 to 8 p.m.

Nightmare at Eastway is a Halloween-themed event that will have food, activities and other frightful happenings. Students, faculty and the community can come and enjoy themselves with food and eerie, exciting fun. 

Justin Lagore, the public relations manager for Dining Services, said the event at Eastway is one that students will have fun with.

“The event will feature an entirely Halloween and horror-inspired menu as well as a photo-op and a few activities for students to enjoy,” Lagore said. “It’s also a Flashperks event, and students can earn 500 point for attending.” 

Gunnoe said the best way to look for activities is to check the events calendar online. 

Whatever students chose to do for Halloween they always have the choice to spend it on Kent State’s campus. Gunnoe said Halloween for Kent State means giving every student the opportunity to feel included, allowing them to create memories in an environment they can trust. Each event is different, but the theme and motive are the same: by enhancing their holiday activities, students have more choices for fun. 

“That’s why it’s important,” Gunnoe said. “If we can throw out little things that remind you of the holiday season, then that’s what we’re going to do.”

Contact Joy at [email protected].