Update: Tornado warning lifted for Kent area

6:30 p.m. University spokesman Eric Mansfield said that the university has not officially cancelled evening classes at Kent’s main campus. Individual professors always have the ability to cancel their classes, he said.

Dispatcher Brown of the Kent Police Department said that no damage had been reported in Kent. Kent State University Police also reported that no damage had been reported for the main campus.

6:03 p.m. The tornado warning is still in effect for Portage County, but the National Weather Services has reported that the Kent, Ravenna and Stow areas are considered safe. Local weather services have advised that if students feel uncomfortable going outside to remain indoors. However, it is safe to go outside if needed.

5:52 p.m. The tornado warning has been lifted for Kent campus. Kent City Police dispatch reported that some damage had possibly been done to Stow High School.

5:45 p.m. The National Weather Services reported a tornado was reported to have touched down near Stow, Ohio, and was moving northeast.

5:03 p.m.The National Weather Service has issued a tornado warning for the Kent area.

The warning was in affect until 5:45 p.m and then extended to 6:15 p.m.

A tornado warning is issued when a tornado has been sighted by spotters or indicated by radar.

The NWS advises residents to seek shelter immediatelyin a basement or lowest floor of a building in an interior hallway or room such as a closet. 

Check back at kentwired.com for more updates.